Jump to Navigation

Working Hard Each Day For
Your Immigration Needs

Academic Visas

Student Visas Attorneys in the United States and Canada

Academic Visa Lawyers

Are you interested in studying in the United States? Since 1993, the immigration attorneys at NPZ Law Group, have helped individuals apply for academic visas and begin their studies. We have a firm understanding of the variety of temporary visas available to students and green card options available to academics with strong qualifications. We can discuss all of the options with you, including the F visa, J visa, H-1B visa and EB-1 and EB-2 green cards.

NPZ Law Group: Global Mobility Attorneys
Call Toll Free: 866-599-3625

Our law firm has a reputation for legal excellence and an unsurpassed level of client service. We have a solid understanding of the paths available to students and other academics interested in studying, teaching, researching or performing other academic tasks in the U.S.

While some people come in on a B visa and change their status to an F or J while they are here, the process can be difficult. At NPZ Law Group, we recommend that students get the documents they need directly from their international study officer and apply for an F or J visa.

F Visa - International Student

A bona fide student who would like to study abroad at an established college, university, seminary, conservatory, high school, elementary school or other academic institution in the U.S. can apply for an F visa. Interested students must fill out form I-20 and be accepted to a school in the United States. If they do not decide upon a school, they may apply for a B-2 visa for "prospective students" and change their status to F-1 while in the United States.

J Visa - Exchange Visitors

A J nonimmigrant is a bona fide student, teacher/professor, research assistant or specialist who comes to the United States temporarily to participate in an exchange program to teach, study, observe, conduct research or do similar tasks. J visa holders are subject to a two-year foreign residency requirement, which they may be able to waive, depending on their circumstances.

H-1B Visa for Academics

Usually used for specialty occupation workers, the H1-B visa is also available to international students. Furthermore, while only 65,000 H-1B work visas are issued each year, international student visas do not count toward that cap.

Green Card Options for Academics

Highly skilled academics such as researchers, scientists, engineers and doctors may qualify for a pre-certified green card classification, including the following:

  • EB-1(a) - Extraordinary Ability : If you are at the top of your academic, artistic, scientific, business or athletic field, and you intend to continue working in that field, you may apply for an EB-1(a) visa/green card.
  • EB-1(b) - Outstanding Professors or Researchers : When someone has at least three years of training or teaching experience and has been internationally recognized for their work, they can apply for an EB-1(b) visa/green card.
  • EB-2(b) - National Interest Waivers : If you can establish that permanent residence is in the national interest — it improves the U.S. economy, educational or training programs, healthcare, environment, etc. — you may waive your labor certification and sponsorship requirements.

Contact Our Immigration Lawyers

To schedule a consultation with an accomplished immigration lawyer, please feel free to contact NPZ Law Group by e-mail or call 201-670-0006.

How Can We Help?

Our staff of immigration law professionals are sensitive to the needs of our clients and the members of their families. We can clearly explain the immigration process in Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Tamil, Hindi, Slovak, Czech, Russian, Chinese, German and English.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Informational Resources

Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletters [E-Zine]
QR Code