Jump to Navigation

Working Hard Each Day For
Your Immigration Needs

Nonimmigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant Visa Attorneys

At the immigration law firm of NPZ Law Group, we often help companies bring highly skilled foreign nationals to the United States using nonimmigrant visas, since this process is generally faster than applying for an immigrant visa/green card. Then, while the employee is in the United States, we begin the process of applying for permanent residency.

To schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer, please contact NPZ Law Group by e-mail or call 201-670-0006.

What Are Nonimmigrant Visas?

Nonimmigrant visas are temporary visas. Generally, an individual who seeks a nonimmigrant visa must demonstrate "nonimmigrant intent," or the intent to depart from the United States upon the expiration of the nonimmigrant visa. However, since the 1990 amendments to the Immigration and Naturalization Act, the USCIS, and more slowly the U.S. Department of State, have come to accept the concept of "dual intent," which recognizes that certain nonimmigrant visa holders may intend to seek immigrant status.

Dual Intent Doctrine and Nonimmigrant Visas

There are a handful of visas that are considered "dual intent." A "nonimmigrant" can intend to immigrate to the United States and not intend to immigrate at the same time. This affords interested immigrants maximum flexibility; they can travel and maintain their underlying nonimmigrant status while their immigration petition is moving forward. We strongly advise clients to maintain their nonimmigrant status until they have their green cards in their hands. Just like you wouldn't drive without car insurance, you shouldn't go through the immigration process without maintaining a dual intent status. The following nonimmigrant visas are dual intent visas:

Caveat to dual intent: The E visa for treaty traders/treaty investors is not dual intent. However, the consulate has discretion to "look the other way." To learn more about dual intent visas, please speak with an immigration professional.

Other Nonimmigrant Visas

Whether you or your employee is a temporary visitor to the U.S. or would like to begin the immigration process under a dual intent visa, our attorneys can discuss the visas available and help prepare a visa application for any of the following:

Contact NPZ Law Group

Our immigration attorneys help employers choose the right temporary work classification that will support their green card application. If necessary, we will move your employee from one temporary visa classification to another to keep him or her in status while the green card is pending.

Our goal as immigration visa attorneys is to save your company time and money in the immigration process and to find creative ways to help you and your foreign national employees meet your immigration goals. Contact the global mobility attorneys at NPZ Law Group, by calling 201-670-0006 or by sending us an e-mail.

Learn More:

Nonimmigrant Visa Practice Center

The ABC's of Nonimmigrant Visas

How Can We Help?

Our staff of immigration law professionals are sensitive to the needs of our clients and the members of their families. We can clearly explain the immigration process in Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Tamil, Hindi, Slovak, Czech, Russian, Chinese, German and English.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Informational Resources

Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletters [E-Zine]
QR Code